Lasagna (mmmmmmm)

The finished product!
It was Scott's birthday last month and he asked me to make lasagna. And while I've made lasagna a million times before, for whatever reason, this particular night ... it was heavenly. I like to think that it was all the extra love I put into it because it was his birthday!

I use my grandma's recipe for this one ... so hopefully she doesn't get mad that I'm sharing it with the world!

To begin, you need to start your gravy (aka sauce) in the morning. Here is what I do:

Gravy Ingredients

  • 106 oz can of tomato sauce (when in doubt, buy more sauce than you think you need)
  • 1 lb country pork boneless ribs, cut into 2-4" pieces
  • 1 lb sweet italian sausage, cut links in half (you can also use spicy if you prefer)
  • 1 lb meatball mix (aka ground pork, lamb and veal mixture) [mix w/ 1 egg and breadcrumbs to make meatballs)
  • 1 tb each of the following herbs: basil, oregano, parsley, minced onion
  • 1/2 tb each of the following herbs: garlic (optional), salt and ground black pepper
  • 2 bay leaves
[Obviously all of these measurements are approximate. So feel free to tweak it as you go.]

Gravy at the start of the day.
Gravy at the end of the day.
Gravy Directions
1) Pour tomato sauce into a large sauce pan and stir in all of your herbs.

2) Carefully place all of your meat into the sauce. I usually put the meatballs in last so that they don't get squished.

3) Bring to a boil and then simmer alllllllllll day. Be sure to stir occasionally to make sure that you don't let anything get stuck to the bottom. There is nothing worse than burnt gravy!

Once you're ready to start making the lasagna, you can gather your remaining ingredients ...

Lasagna Ingredients

  • 2 boxes no-bake lasagna noodles
  • 3 lb ricotta cheese
  • 2 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 cups grated cheese (I like pecorino romano mixed with parmesan, but you can also use just parmesan)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup parsley
  • 1 tb salt
  • 1 tb ground black pepper
  • 2-3 lb meatball mix (depends on how meaty you like your lasagna)

Lasagna Directions
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

2) Brown your meatball mix in a large pan and set aside.

3) Beat your eggs in a large bowl (the largest bowl you have!). Then add your salt, pepper and parsley and mix.

Your cheese mixture.
4) Add your ricotta and mix. Then add your grated cheese and mix. Then add your mozzarella and mix.

Why this order?? I have no idea! But this is what my grandmother does, so this is what I do! 

5) If you're like me and you don't have a lot of counter space, I end up setting my roasting pan (I use my large turkey roasting pan ... which may seem like a bit much, but you'll thank me later when you have leftovers!) in front of my cheese mixture with my gravy pot and meat on the stove next to me. But do whatever works for you and your space.

6) Pour a generous amount of gravy into the bottom of your roasting pan so that it coats the bottom. Place your first player of lasagna noodles down. When in doubt ... it's better to overlap your lasagna noodles a little than to leave gaps.  

7) Now here comes the tricky part. Take out about 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture and set aside. Divide your remaining cheese mixture in half and put large spoonfuls of it on your lasagna noodles. Using a spatula, carefully press down until you have an even layer of cheese covering the bottom of your pan.
I like to periodically dip my spatula in my gravy, as it keeps the cheese from sticking to the spatula. Of all the steps to making the lasagna, this is the one that requires the most patience. If you try to hurry, you'll end up with cheese everywhere that you don't want it!

Lasagna ready for the oven!
8) Then measure out half of your meat mixture and spread it evenly over the cheese.

Many lasagna recipes have you put the meat down first, but my grandmother likes to do it this way for two reasons. First, the cheese mixture is easier to spread if it's the first layer.  Second, as the lasagna bakes, the meat will bake down into the melting cheese. Just sooooo yummy!

9) Pour a generous amount of gravy over your meat and cheese and spread evenly. 

10) Place your next layer of lasagna noodles. Followed by another layer of cheese, then meat, then gravy.  
Lasagna out of the oven!

11) More noodles on top, followed by more gravy (there is nothing worse than dry lasagna!).

I like to top mine with dollops of the cheese mixture that we set aside earlier and a sprinkling of shredded mozzarella and a little grated cheese.

12) Bake in the oven for 1 hour, and let rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.



If you're wondering what to do with all the extra meat sauce ... simply freeze it for future meals. It's great for those nights when you're so tired that you don't feel like making a whole meal. Simply defrost your meat sauce, boil some pasta and viola ... you're good to go!

And any leftover lasagna can also be frozen for future meals. Scott and I are still enjoying leftover lasagna over a month later!  

Comments