Hamburger Over Rice (courtesy Leslie Threlkeld)



Guys ... does having guest bloggers mean that I've made it to the next level of food blogging?? If not, don't tell me. I'm going to revel in my little bit of ignorant blogger joy right now! One of the things I love about this recipe that Leslie sent is how adaptable it is to what you have on hand (which I think is really important right now given the current pandemic) and your personal tastes. But now I'll stop typing and let Leslie take it away!

From Leslie ...
This was my favorite as a kid and I still make it from time to time as comfort food. The sauce is the centerpiece. It’s brilliant on noodles but best over rice. My mom has been a vegetarian for decades and says hamburger over rice is the one thing she really misses, and it’s just not the same with meat substitute. But do whatever floats your boat.



Ingredients:

  • ~ 2 lbs ground meat (I like bison these days. It’s leaner and more flavorful than beef. Turkey is fine, too.)
  • 1-ish bell pepper, pick your favorite color
  • 1 BIG onion, pick your favorite type
  • Some mushrooms if you like them
  • 3 big cans tomato sauce
  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • 2 cans of tomato soup
  • Tomato juice if you like it (look, this isn’t your dish if you don’t like tomatoes)
  • About 1 tablespoon basil, fresh is great, but no judgement if dried
  • 2-3 tablespoons oregano
  • Pepper to taste
  • Put that salt away, there is plenty in the tomato products
  • Fresh grated parmesan cheese (the good stuff, not the powdery crap)
  • Rice. Or noodles of choice, if you must.


DIRECTIONS 

This is the basic recipe, but it can be adapted to whatever you have on hand. I’ve made it with less meat and used all variations of the tomato products and it’s still great. The secret, my mom has always said, is to “cook the shit out of it.”

  1. After browning the meat, chop the veggies, throw everything in a pot, and simmer at least 3-4 hrs. Can be done in a crock pot on low. 
  2. If pouring over rice, add more sauce than you think you’ll need. The rice should be well saturated. More sauce than rice. More saucy than the photo. Top with parmesan. I also like a few shakes of Tabasco.

 It will taste even better the second day. Freezes smashingly. 

Comments