Honey Vegetable Stir Fry

This is a photo of the chicken version.
Growing up I did not like stir fry. It usually involved a lot of vegetables I didn't like, so I would spend a lot of time picking those out (sorry mom!). Then I grew up, and started cooking for myself, and realized that I could put the vegetables that I liked into a stir fry. And then I realized that I could make my own stir fry sauce, and I was hooked. I tinkered around with this for awhile, and I hope you enjoy!

INGREDIENTS
  • 4-6 cups of your favorite vegetables
    • our favorites are: onion, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, bok choy, zucchini, bell peppers, etc.
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
  • 1-2 tb flour
DIRECTIONS
  1. Heat a little oil in a big pan on medium-high heat.
  2. Start adding in your vegetables beginning with your onion, and then from whatever takes the longest to cook to the least amount of time to cook. For example your carrots are going to take longer than your peppers or zucchini, and your broccoli will take longer than your bok choy. 
    1. The key is to remember that you want all of your vegetables to be done at the same time. So you want to add your next vegetable before your current set is done. Make sense??
    2. You also have the choice in how long to cook each vegetable. Personally I like my veggies to be rather crisp, so I don't cook them too long. But if you like them to be a bit softer, then cook them longer. It's easy to keep testing them with a fork as you're cooking to determine if they're at your desired doneness. 
  3. While your veggies are cooking, mix up the ingredients for your honey stir fry sauce--vegetable stock, honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame seeds and flour--and set aside. 
  4. When your veggies are almost done, pour in your sauce and let simmer for 3-5 minutes on low heat. 
  5. Serve over rice, sesame noodles or cauliflower rice.
Click here for a video demo of this recipe: 

Comments