"Fancy" flank steak + green beans and rice

Listen to me ... fancy dinners don't need to require a million ingredients and hours in the kitchen. They.do.not. Do you hear me!? Do you believe me!? I know that I'm an avid cooker of things and a lot of this comes naturally to me, but I truly believe that anyone can cook this dinner. But with that said, I didn't measure a damn thing when I made this tonight, so feel free to tweak as you see fit.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 flank steak
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce + extra for green beans
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup olive oil + extra for green beans
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup rice
  • 1/2 cup beef stock
  • green beans
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • crushed red pepper
DIRECTIONS
1. Mix your soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, brown sugar, black pepper and salt in a ziplock bag. Place your flank steak in the bag and marinated for 4-12 hours. Refrigerate and forget.

2. Set your oven to broil, and place your flank steak on a broiling pan and broil for 5 minutes per side. Then turn off your oven, close the door, and leave in there for 10 minutes, or a little longer if you like it a little less rare. Take out of oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Done.

3) Get yourself a rice cooker, put the rice, beef stock and 1/2 cup water in it, and let it do its thing. Done.

4) Heat some extra olive oil in a large pan at medium high heat. Add in your green beans and then drizzle over some soy sauce, honey and as much crushed pepper as you like (I like a lot, Scott likes a little). Keep mixing up the green beans until they have started to wilt a little bit, but still have some crunch to them. Done.

Viola! Your friends will be impressed. Promise.

Comments