My Mom's Pot Roast

This has always been one of my favorite meals that my mom would make us growing up. It was also one of the first recipes that I asked for after I moved out. Turns out my mom got this recipe from Better Homes & Garden, and tweaked it over the years. And of course I've tweaked it as well. The biggest difference is that I utilize my crockpot for this, while my mom did it on the stove top. But enough storytelling, here's the recipe ...

INGREDIENTS

  • 3-4 lb beef chuck roast (boneless or bone in, whatever you can find)
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3/4 cup red wine
  • 2 tb Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp instant beef bouillon granules
  • 2 tsp crushed dried basil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 4-6 cups of your favorite vegetables cut into bite sized pieces
    • I typically go heavy on the carrots, and then add in some onion, mushrooms and a little celery. But you can use parsnips or some potatoes. Really, whatever you like!
  • 2 tb cold water (optional)
  • 2 tb corn starch (optional)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Layer your vegetables into the bottom of your crock pot. Usually I put the carrots down first, then onion and celery, and finally the mushrooms. I usually just keep adding vegetables until the crockpot is half full.
  2. Place your roast on top of the vegetables. You can cut it to fit if needed.
  3. Combine the 3/4 cup water with your Worcestershire sauce, boullion granules, basil, salt and pepper. Mix together and pour over your meat.
  4. Pour your wine over the meat.
  5. Set your crock pot on low for 10 hours. 
  6. If you like your gravy to be thicker ... right before you're ready to eat, take your roast out and put on a platter or cutting board. Then turn your crock pot up to high and stir in the cold water/corn starch mixture. Keep stirring until your gravy has thickened slightly.
  7. Serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Or nothing if you included potatoes with your vegetable mixture.
  8. ENJOY! And tell Barbara thank you the next time you see her!

Comments